Adopted by the Board of Trustees August 22, 1994
Revised November 25, 2002
Revised: September 27, 2004
Confidentiality Of Library Records & Customer Files
The mission of the Sno-Isle Libraries is to be a community doorway to reading, resources and life long learning and to be a center for people, ideas and culture.
A. POLICY STATEMENT:
Consistent with RCW 42.56.310, it is the policy of Sno-Isle Libraries (the Library) that any library record, the primary purpose of which is to maintain control of library materials, or to gain access to information, which discloses or could be used to disclose the identity of a library user, is exempt from public inspection and copying. These records are considered confidential and protected by the right of privacy established by the Constitution of the United States and the Constitution and laws of the State of Washington.
The purpose of the Confidentiality Policy is to ensure confidentiality of customer information in the library. The Library safeguards access to customer library records and restricts access to that information to staff in the normal course of business and the customer who owns the library card, except as provided in this policy.
For the purpose of this policy, such confidential records include but are not limited to: registration records, circulation records, reference interviews, materials request lists, database search records, financial information and computer booking records.
- Information from the confidential records shall not be made available to any individual, organization, entity, or any agency of federal, state or local government except as pursuant to a valid court order or other applicable legal authority under applicable state or federal law.
- The library will take action as necessary to determine that any court order or process issued by any court or pursuant to any purported legal authority requires that such records be made available.
- Names and addresses from the customer file may be used from time to time by the Library for the purpose of conducting surveys or to notify individuals of upcoming events, and / or changes in policy.
- Names and addresses, only, of adult customers eighteen (18) years of age and older, who have informed the Library of their desire to receive notifications by the Sno-Isle Libraries Foundation, may be extracted from the customer file for use by the Sno-Isle Libraries Foundation, and by no other organization, and for the sole purpose of notifying users of upcoming events in support of the Library and / or to invite customers to participate in or to support financially the Sno-Isle Libraries Foundation activities.
- The Executive Director is responsible for establishing administrative procedures necessary to carry out this policy.
There was one place where I could find out who I was and what I was going to become.
And that was the public library.
- Jerzy Kosinski
Sno-Isle Libraries Administrative & Service Center, 7312 35th Ave NE, Marysville, WA 98271-7417
360-651-7000 (local) • 877-766-4753 (toll free) • 360-651-7151 (fax)
©2014 Sno-Isle Libraries