Adopted by the Board of Trustees September 27, 2004
Library Facility Ownership
The mission of the Sno-Isle Libraries is to be a community doorway to reading, resources and life long learning and to be a center for people, ideas and culture.
A. POLICY STATEMENT:
It is the policy of Sno-Isle Libraries (the Library) to own library facilities when the library's ability to provide library service is best served.
The purpose of this policy is to provide a clear understanding of the conditions under which the Library assumes ownership of a library facility.
For the purpose of this policy, library facility ownership refers to the library buildings that are financed by Library Capital Facility Area bonds and owned by the Library, library facilities previously owned by cities, towns and Friends groups whose ownership has been transferred to the Library, and the Service Center located in Marysville.
D. CONDITIONS OF PURCHASE OR PROPERTY TRANSFER:
- The Library will assume ownership of a community library only in those communities that meet one of the following conditions:
- They are annexed to the Library;
- They are at a full levy rate contract with the Library;
- They are located in an unincorporated community.
- The Library will assume ownership of a community library only when the Library deems the facility to be in acceptable condition.
- The Library will only accept ownership when the property is transferred without restriction.
E. ADMINISTRATIVE PROVISION:
Ongoing building maintenance and repair of library facilities is the responsibility of the Library. Ongoing maintenance and repair expenses will be funded within the annual Library operating budget. The annual operating budget will provide for:
- The expense of maintaining library owned facilities is considerable and is the responsibility of the Library. A reserve fund is established to cover major maintenance and repair expenses.
- A reserve fund shall be established to provide long term funding for:
- Repair or replacement of major building components and systems such as roofs, carpets, masonry, ceilings, utility systems, and heating/air conditioning systems;
- Key recurring maintenance items, such as interior and exterior painting;
- Renovations needed to sustain library services.
- The reserve fund will be funded based on the replacement or repair cost and the estimated life of the building components and systems plus estimated costs of anticipated renovations and upgrades.
- Custodial maintenance of the interior and exterior of the facility
- Landscaped grounds maintenance
- Repair and maintenance of plumbing, electrical, heating, cooling, waste water and other mechanical systems.
At the moment that we persuade a child, any child, to cross that threshold,
that magic threshold into a library, we change their lives forever, for the better.
- Barack Obama
Sno-Isle Libraries Administrative & Service Center, 7312 35th Ave NE, Marysville, WA 98271-7417
360-651-7000 (local) • 877-766-4753 (toll free) • 360-651-7151 (fax)
©2014 Sno-Isle Libraries