To ensure that Sno-Isle Libraries provides the highest level of access to library resources possible while responsibly managing public assets.
This policy defines requirements for a library card that enables customers to check out materials from Sno-Isle Libraries and access online resources provided by the library through special license or contract.
- Residents of and owners of property within Sno-Isle Libraries' district boundaries, and their dependents
Sno-Isle Libraries' boundaries include all unincorporated areas of Snohomish County and Island County, and all municipalities within Snohomish and Island Counties that have annexed to the Library District. Residents of Woodway are excluded as the city has not annexed to or contracted with Sno-Isle Libraries service.
- Residents and property owners of jurisdictions within Washington State that provide equitable tax support for public library services.
- Organizations located within Sno-Isle Libraries' boundaries.
- Sno-Isle Libraries staff.
Library cardholders may:
- Borrow materials from any of the Sno-Isle Libraries.
- Access premium online library resources, such as ebooks and research sources.
- Access the internet and a variety of software on library computers. Minors' filtered internet access is at the discretion of a parent or legal guardian.
- Registration requirements
- Full access
- Picture identification and proof of address within the boundaries identified above are required for adults' and legally emancipated minors' library cards.
- Signature of a parent or legal guardian who meets eligibility requirements and assumes financial responsibility for items is required for minors' library cards.
- Limited access
Minors may borrow one book or audiobook at a time without a parent or legal guardian's signature. Internet access is specifically excluded.
- Library cardholders are responsible for:
- Returning materials on time and in good condition.
- Paying for materials that are lost.
- Notifying Sno-Isle Libraries if unauthorized use of their library card is suspected, for example, if a library card is stolen.
- Sno-Isle Libraries is responsible for:
Maintaining library customers' privacy, as outlined in Sno-Isle Libraries' policy Confidentiality of library records and customer files.
- Suspension of account
- Borrowing privileges may be suspended if library cardholder:
- Has not paid for library materials that are lost.
- Steals or deliberately damages library property.
- Privileges will be reinstated when materials have been returned or paid for.
Date and action taken
Adopted by the Board of Trustees: July 25, 2016