It's week three of book blogs for the Third Grade Reading Challenge. Today's book is Make Way for Dyamonde Daniel by Nikki Grimes! There is unlimited access for the digital audiobook version of this title through Overdrive and Libby from December through March. Find this title, as well as the other books from the Reading Challenge, on the Overdrive Kids page!
Author Nikki Grimes currently lives in Corona, CA. Learn more about her at www.nikkigrimes.com
- What did you like about the book? What did you NOT like?
- Have you ever had a new student in your class? If so, did you do anything to welcome them?
- Have you ever been a new student? What did it feel like? Was it easy to make friends?
- Why do you think Dyamonde’s mom told her to keep her “super smart-ness” to herself? Why is this a good idea?
- Dyamonde mentions that she feels lonely without her best friend. Think of a time when you felt lonely. What helped you feel less lonely?
- Free and Dyamonde are both new at the school. How are they alike when it comes to being the new kid? How are they different?
- How does Dyamonde’s first impression of Free change through the book? What makes her change her mind about him? Have you had a similar experience with a first impression you had?
- Put pen to paper and write a letter to a friend you have not seen in a while…or to a friend who you have seen! It is always fun to get a letter in the mail.
- Dyamonde and Free talk about their unique names. Why not celebrate your name with some name art? https://www.happyfamilyart.com/art-lessons/learn-to-draw/fun-name-art/
- Nikki Grimes, the author of Dyamonde Daniel, also writes poetry. Try creating an acrostic poem out of the letters of your name!
Friend of Dyamonde
“Rude Boy” no more
Escape his baby brother
- When you make a friend, you create a new connection! Try out this experiment to make two colors of water become friends: https://coolscienceexperimentshq.com/color-changing-walking-water/
Sarai and the Meaning of Awesome : Fourth grader Saraí Gonzalez can do anything. She can bake, dance, and run her own cupcake business. But when Saraí's grandparents are forced to move, even Saraí's not sure what to do. So she hatches a super-awesome plan with her younger sisters and cousin to buy back the house. Will Saraí find a way to save the day?
Nikki & Deja : When an arrogant new girl comes to school, third-graders and best friends Nikki and Deja decide to form a club that would exclude her but find the results not what they expected.
Weekends With Max and His Dad : Third-grader Max pursues neighborhood adventures with his dad as they both adjust to recent changes in their family.
Ivy + Bean : When seven-year-old Bean plays a mean trick on her sister, she finds unexpected support for her antics from Ivy, the new neighbor, who is less boring than Bean first suspected.
Junie B. Jones and the Stupid Smelly Bus : In her own words, a young girl describes her feelings about starting kindergarten and what she does when she decides not to ride the bus home.
Want to see last week's blog? Click here for Ranger in Time: Rescue on the Oregon Trail!