This winter, many third graders in Snohomish and Island counties are reading Jasmine Toguchi, Mochi Queen by Debbi Mochiko Florence, as part of the Sno-Isle Libraries Third Graders Read Together program. Participating schools have received classroom book sets and activity guides.
You can join the fun and read along too! Start by finding Jasmine Toguchi, Mochi Queen in the catalog, then read on for discussion questions, activity ideas, and read-alike suggestions.
- It is a Toguchi family tradition to make mochi for New Year’s Day. Does your family have special traditions? What are they? What is your favorite holiday?
- Where is Jasmine’s thinking spot and why does she go there?
- Jasmine feels that her older sister, Sophie, gets to do everything first. How does Jasmine solve this problem? Have you ever wanted to do something that a sibling or friend did first? How did that make you feel and what did you do about it?
- Mean Eddie often makes Jasmine mad. What does Jasmine do to calm down before she talks to Eddie? Is this a good strategy? Do you have a method to help calm down when you get mad?
- Jasmine wants to prove she is strong enough to pound mochi. How else can Jasmine prove she is strong? What makes someone strong?
- Jasmine Toguchi likes to make collages with pictures from old magazines. Using magazine cutouts, paper, and other materials, create a collage of a color, animal, or another theme. Cut or tear the materials into desired shapes. Arrange on a background and secure with tape or glue.
- The Toguchi family celebrates the New Year with the traditional mochi pounding ceremony – mochitsuki. When traditionally prepared, steamed rice is pounded with wooden mallets before being formed into shapes. Use a recipe to try making your own mochi or register for Magnificent Mochi Making! to learn how.
- When Jasmine Toguchi’s dad allows her to join the boys to pound mochi, Jasmine says it’s the first time she’s broken a rule with her mom and dad’s permission. Write about a time when it was okay for you to break a rule. How did you feel?
More books like Jasmine Toguchi, Mochi Queen:
Find even more with this booklist!