Camano Island Library Advisory Board Responsibilities
Welcome and thank you for your interest in joining the Camano Island Library Advisory Board.
This is an advisory, not governing, Board. The Sno-Isle Libraries Board of Trustees is responsible for policies and governance of our organization. Staff is responsible for the day to day operations of our 22 libraries.
Sno-Isle Libraries' Advisory Board members:
- Bring community insight regarding service needs. Board members with ties to community groups are crucial to keeping us informed about community needs. For example, you might share information about a small business that needs assistance with demographic information. Or you might learn about a community trend for which the library can provide a program.
- Participate in library events, including outreach into the community. As an active community member, it is vital that the public see you supporting the Library.
- Understand and promote the concepts of public library service. Board members may be asked to attend service group meetings (with library staff) and talk about the value of public libraries.
- Share their stories. Word of mouth is the best support for a library. Be willing to tell your library stories whenever possible—at a meeting, while staffing a booth at local event or festival, in line at the grocery store, etc. Tell neighbors, colleagues and family about the value of public libraries in times of political/financial need.
- Provide feedback on specific library issues. Participate in database assessment, discussion of service priorities, or give an opinion on a new initiative.
Learning opportunities for Advisory Board members:
- Upon appointment, the Managing Librarian will provide an orientation, including a tour of the library and introductions to staff.
- Each Board meeting has an educational topic on the agenda, designed so that you can take the knowledge out to your community.
- A Community Ambassador training program is offered throughout the year. The program provides skills for public speaking and sharing the library story effectively to a variety of audiences.
- Sno-Isle Libraries sponsors an annual event, Board to Board to Friends, which is an in-service morning for all Trustees, Library Board members or all community libraries, and Friends officers.