Summer reading usually entails bringing your books to the lake, not the lake to the books! Sno-Isle Libraries is creating a reopen plan for the recently flooded Edmonds Library, which will be shared with the community next month.
After initial assessment with the city, it has been determined a two-inch irrigation pipe supporting the building’s rooftop garden ruptured. Preliminary estimates based on the conditions indicate water was overflowing for up to 8 to 12 hours, and an estimated 60,000 gallons of water flooded the plaza level of the Edmonds Library during closed hours. The entire 17,000 sq ft library was filled with roughly two inches of standing water.
There was extensive water damage to the ceiling, carpet and drywall, but the books, public computers and other materials were unharmed and quickly recovered. The entire collection was relocated to the library district’s Service Center in Marysville.
The city’s contractor, Restore-X, has removed standing water and the carpeting, and dehumidifiers are drying out the building. Inspections are also planned for the irrigation and plumbing systems, and testing to ensure the building is dry.
This situation is an unforeseen inconvenience for Edmonds Library customers, volunteers, Friends, community members and staff. Sno-Isle Libraries is actively creating opportunities to ensure customers can access library services, including:
- Limited services will be available in a pop-up tent in front of the library's main entrance. Services include browsing collections and information assistance. Please see the Edmonds Library page for hours.
- Meet with a Librarian at Edmonds Waterfront Center to receive assistance with ebooks, online resources, & help with your library account. Thursdays, 10 a.m. - noon.
- The Bookmobile will be at the Edmonds Library on select days. Please see listings for dates and times. for customers to browse books. Staff will be available to answer questions, offer facility updates, and provide research assistance.
- Books may be returned to the drive-thru book drop at the Edmonds Library.
- Holds are available at the Lynnwood Library or any library of choice.
In-person events are being rescheduled and relocated to local community spaces.
Wi-Fi is available from the parking lot.
- Access eBooks, audiobooks, online databases, and more on the Sno-Isle website.
Sno-Isle Library staff are available to connect customers to everything the library offers. Contact us today.