Sno-Isle Libraries has the resources business owners and entrepreneurs need to succeed.
“We’re here to help business owners,” said Emily Felt, Lead Librarian for Business Services with Sno-Isle Libraries. “We have tools to create customer mailing lists, locate powerful demographic data, identify consumer segments, and find templates and guidance for financial projections. We also offer curated lists of books and materials on a variety of business topics on our Business Bookshelf, many other market research resources, and more.”
Community libraries in south and north Snohomish County as well as on Whidbey Island have scheduled series of Business Pros classes in October and November. Classes are taught by local business experts and cover all aspects of starting, running and growing a business.
Mountlake Terrace Library has set aside two Saturdays to host two sessions each day for the Your Business, Start Smart series of Business Pros classes. All classes are free and require advance registration.
The Mountlake Terrace Library classes will be taught by Jack Stiegler of Service Corps of Retired Executives (SCORE) and staff from the Small Business Development Center (SBDC) and Sno-Isle Libraries.
Felt suggests that folks bring a lunch if they plan to attend both daily sessions.
- Your Business — Start Smart: 10 a.m.-noon, Saturday, Oct. 12. Thinking of going into business for yourself? Jack Stiegler of SCORE will explain what it takes to be an entrepreneur, whether it’s right for you and basic steps for startups, followed by market research resources available through Sno-Isle Libraries.
- Your Business — Plan Smart: 12:30-2:30 p.m., Saturday, Oct. 12. Need help planning your business? Jack Stiegler of SCORE will discuss different business plan models and what makes a strong plan. Sno-Isle Libraries staff will explain available library resources to help business owners build a plan.
- Your Business — Finance Smart: 10 a.m.-noon, Saturday, Nov. 9. Looking for money to finance your business? Join the SBDC and Sno-Isle Libraries to find out what types of financing are available, what lenders look for and resources to help you prepare. Experienced financing experts will be on hand to answer questions.
- Your Business — Market Smart: 12:30-2:30 p.m., Saturday, Nov. 9. Want to find your customers? Join the SBDC and Sno-Isle Libraries to learn about marketing plans, customer demographics and spending habits, how you compare to your competition, trends in your industry, and getting your business online using “Grow with Google” tools.
In north Snohomish County, the Lakewood/Smokey Point Library will host Business Pros classes for the first time on three consecutive Saturdays in October. Classes are free but require registration.
- Steps to Starting a Successful Business in Washington State, 1 p.m. Saturday, Oct. 5
- Why Are You Failing at Social Media? 10 a.m. Saturday, Oct. 12
- Recession-Proofing Your Business, 11 a.m. Saturday, Oct. 19
On Whidbey Island, the Oak Harbor Library is partnering with Oak Harbor Chamber of Commerce to provide Business Pros classes. The Oct. 17 class requires advance registration and will be at the Oak Harbor Fire Department, 855 E. Whidbey Ave. The remaining classes do not require advance registration. Those classes will be at the Oak Harbor Chamber of Commerce office, 32630 Highway 20.
- Stand in Your Power, 11:30 a.m.-1 p.m. Thursday, Oct. 17 (Fire Department)
- Extraordinary Elevator Pitches, 4-5:30 p.m. Thursday, Oct. 24 (Chamber office)
- Conversion Copywriting 101, 4-5:30 p.m. Thursday, Nov. 7 (Chamber office)
- Why Are You Failing at Social Media? 4-5:30 p.m. Thursday, Nov. 21 (Chamber office)