The "Sno-Isle Libraries Mega-Fun, Biblio-Trivia, Rockem-Sockem Third-Grade Reading Challenge" is a literary trivia program for students enrolled in public schools throughout Snohomish and Island counties.
The program encourages children to have fun and enjoy reading while honing their literacy and teamwork skills. After reading six books, children participate in in-school, semi-final and final Reading Challenge events. These competitive events are styled like a knowledge quiz bowl, testing the teams' knowledge of the books.
Why third grade?
Research shows that reading ability in third grade can be a tipping point for later academic and life success. Students not reading at grade level are less likely to finish high school which may have consequences later in life.
Each year, librarians from Sno-Isle Libraries come up with a new list of six books for the reading challenge. With careful consideration, they choose books that have wide appeal and cover a range of reading abilities. Whenever possible, the list includes books by local authors who also participate in the reading challenge such as Patrick Jennings and Kelly Jones.
Students, teachers and parents agree the benefits abound to this wildly popular program!
Here's what students say about the program:
- "The reading challenge makes me feel a part of a team."
- "I started a huge book and it was easy."
- "These books are super good."
- "I really love the Reading Challenge and I hope it goes on for generations."
Parents and teachers watch students grow and develop:
- "I had some students join this that I knew would and some that surprised me. I loved watching them be excited about feeling special and a part of something. They bonded a lot throughout this process. It also made reading a really positive experience."
- "I'm thankful for this challenge because he truly gained more confidence and got to be a stronger reader."
- "We as a family read more due to this challenge."
Every year we survey participants about this program. As a result of the Third Grade Reading Challenge:
- 96% of participating students reported that they have more confidence in their reading ability
- 93% report that they enjoy reading more
- 93% of parents report that their participating students display a greater sense of teamwork
|Broad View||Oak Harbor|
|Crescent Harbor||Oak Harbor|
|Monte Cristo||Granite Falls|
|Mt. Pilchuck||Lake Stevens|
|Oak Harbor||Oak Harbor|
|Olympic View||Oak Harbor|
|Sky Valley Ed. Ctr.||Snohomish|
|South Whidbey||South Whidbey|
2019 challenge updates
The Sno-Isle Libraries Mega-Fun, Biblio-Trivia, Rockem-Sockem Third Grade Reading Challenge is supported by: