Reading and sharing books together with children excites them so that they will one day want to read on their own.
When families read together, children:
- Expand their vocabulary
- Learn how books and written language work
- Learn how stories have a beginning, a middle and an end
Parents and caregivers can help to increase these skills by:
- Sharing stories that they love
- Talking about the illustrations in the books
- Asking children to turn the pages
- Underlining repeated phrases with their finger as they read
Want to know more about the practices of reading readiness?
These practices will help nurture children’s desire to read and prepare their young minds for the adventures of reading. We invite you to promote reading with the help of Sno-Isle Libraries: