Advance directives inform your family and care providers about your preferences for medical or behavioral treatments in the event you are no longer able to make informed decisions. You’ve probably heard of “living wills,” also known as health care advance directives, but did you know you can also prepare a mental health advance directive?
Start the process
Washington LawHelp a website of the Northwest Justice Project, provides guidance and legal forms for preparing advance directives.
Honoring Choices Pacific Northwest is a joint initiative between the Washington State Hospital Association and Washington State Medical Association Foundation for Health Care Improvement. Their website has sections on learning, planning, connecting, and fillable forms in many languages.
End of Life Washington is a statewide organization that supports people preparing for their final days. They advocate for the right to a peaceful death and they never charge for their services. Their website offers tools for planning, forms, and a wealth of information and resources. View End of Life Ready: Advance Planning and End-of-Life Options, a recorded program with End of Life Washington hosted by Sno-Isle Libraries.
Prepare a health care advance directive
- Health Care Directive (living will) - information and forms available in English, Spanish, Russian, Vietnamese, Chinese (Traditional), and Chinese (Simplified) from Washington LawHelp
- Advance Directive Forms - free online fillable and printable forms available in large print and in seventeen different languages from Honoring Choices Pacific Northwest
- Durable Power of Attorney for Health Care and Health Care Directive - combined form developed by End of Life Washington
Prepare a mental health advance directive
- Mental Health Advance Directive - information and form for Washington State from Washington LawHelp
- Living with Dementia Mental Health Advance Directive - first-of-its-kind document from End of Life Washington