Sno-Isle Libraries anticipates welcoming our community back into their library at the beginning of summer 2023. Our Edmonds Library is the cornerstone of our thriving community, and it is our intent to open the library as soon as possible. We are using this unplanned occurrence as an opportunity to reimagine library services within the 17,000 square feet building footprint.
How is the project funded?
- Sno-Isle Libraries will be investing at least 2.5 million in our Edmonds Community with the Edmonds Library modernization. This project is budgeted in our planned $14 million in 2023 capital funds.
- $36,830.60 from Sno-Isle Libraries’ insurance will help cover furniture and equipment.
- The City of Edmonds insurance settlement will help cover recovery and repairs.
Architect for the Project
- January 2023: Sno-Isle Libraries presented at Edmonds City Council Public Safety, Planning, Human Services and Personnel Committee
- December 2022: Working with City partners and support teams to define and finalize the scope of the project.
- December 2022: City of Edmonds completing repairs on restrooms and elevators.
- November 2022: City of Edmonds and Sno-Isle Libraries accessed their insurance claims.
- October 2022: Hired a professional public library architect, Johnston Architects.
- September 2022: In partnership with the City of Edmonds, opened a pop-up library in the Plaza Room for continued access to holds, browsing, printing, and more.
- August 2022: Dried out the building and performed tests to ensure the building is dry.
- July 2022: The City of Edmond’s contractor, Restore-X, removed the standing water, drywall and carpet.
- June 2022: Recovered 54,000 books and IT equipment from the space.
- June 23, 2022: Edmonds Library suffered catastrophic water damage when a pipe ruptured, and an estimated 60,000 gallons flooded the 17,000 square foot library.
Questions or comments? Contact us!