Library Card and Lending Policy
Sno-Isle Libraries Board of Trustees Policy
To ensure that Sno-Isle Libraries provides the highest level of access to library resources possible while responsibly managing public assets, to articulate the principles for lending library materials to customers, and define the roles and responsibilities for establishing library card eligibility and lending rules.
As part of the Sno-Isle Libraries vision, the Library makes its collection available to customers to borrow and use outside of the library. Providing online access and lending physical library material to customers is a core library service.
- We function in a resource sharing environment that depends on the stewardship and good will of all.
- We serve individuals and the community as a whole.
- We seek to provide ease of access to desired library materials.
Eligibility and Lending
Library card eligibility
- Residents or property owners within the Sno-Isle Libraries District service area including:
- All unincorporated areas within Snohomish and Island Counties.
- All cities, towns, and rural partial-county library districts that have annexed to the Sno-Isle Library District.
- Tribal lands.
- Residents or property owners of jurisdictions within Washington State that provide equitable tax support for public library services.
- Organizations located within the Sno-Isle Libraries District service area.
- Sno-Isle Libraries staff.
The Sno-Isle Libraries collection, with the exception of reference materials, is available for loan at no charge, to all registered library card holders regardless of race, ethnicity, age, disability, sex, sexual orientation, gender, veteran status, marital status, or religious or political affiliation.
Lending rules and limits are established to ensure collection accessibility to the community as a whole while striving to support the broadest possible customer access. The Executive Director (or designee) will establish and publish specific lending rules that ensure fair and consistent application of this policy.
Associated Policies and Laws
- Washington State RCW 27.12.010, opens a new window. Definitions.
- Washington State RCW 27.12.270, opens a new window. Rules and Regulations – Free use of libraries.
- Washington State RCW 27.12.285, opens a new window. Library services for Indian tribes.
- Washington State RCW 27.12.360, opens a new window, 27.12.370, opens a new window, and 27.12.380, opens a new window. Annexation of city or town into library district.
- American Library Association. Freedom to Read Statement.
- American Library Association. Freedom to View Statement, opens a new window.
- American Library Association. Library Bill of Rights.
- Sno-Isle Libraries Board policy. Collection development
- Sno-Isle Libraries Board policy. Confidentiality of Library Records and Customer Files
This policy is reviewed every four (4) years by the Executive Director (or designee) who makes recommendations to the appropriate Board Committee. The Committee reviews and revises as necessary, endorses, and advances to the full Board for approval.
Date Approved: May 23, 2022
Next Review Date: 2026
Date Adopted: 2016 (Formerly Library Card Eligibility Policy)