Business Expense Reimbursement Policy
Sno-Isle Libraries Board of Trustees Policy
It is the policy of Sno-Isle Libraries to reimburse authorized, reasonable business expenses incurred by employees and Board of Trustee members.
This policy applies to all library employees and trustees. Authorized reasonable business expense is defined by the following criteria:
- It is for a valid business purpose.
- It is the amount that normally would be spent in a specific situation. It is not extreme or excessive and reflects a prudent decision and action to incur the expense.
- It is presumed to be necessary and appropriate by the department which normally has the responsibility for such determinations.
Sno-Isle Libraries will manage business expense reimbursements under a system of accountability that complies with State and Federal regulations. The system of accountability will also fulfil the following requirements:
- The expense being reimbursed must be in connection with the performance of services or training as an employee or trustee and shall comply with all laws, regulations and administrative policies applicable to the use of such funds.
- Documentation such as an invoice or receipt must be provided to substantiate expenses. Use of a mileage allowance and meal per diem are deemed substantiated.
- All travel expenses must be properly documented and approved by a supervisor.
- Travel advances must be settled within thirty (30) days after travel is complete or business expense is incurred.
- Expenses paid which are determined to be a taxable benefit to an employee or trustee must be reported as such a benefit.
- Expenses which primarily serve a personal interest and not the business interest of the Library are not allowable.
It is the responsibility of each employee to adhere to policy when administering expense reimbursements on behalf of the library. Further, it is the responsibility of each manager to be familiar with the reason for the expenditures and to be satisfied that it is consistent with policy.
Date approved: 6/2019
Next review date: 6/2023